Ministerial Excellence Fund Grant Application Guidelines
The Ministerial Excellence Fund (MEF) exists to provide assistance to Professional Church Leaders (PCLs) facing financial difficulties that prevent them from focusing on the greater tasks of Kingdom ministry. By removing barriers of financial hardship and need, the path is cleared for pastors to focus on, develop, and implement excellence in their personal ministry in service to their local churches. These grants are funded through donations by individuals and churches to the MEF Sustaining Fund.
WHO QUALIFIES FOR A GRANT?
Pastors or PCLs currently serving in the ABC-IN/KY or ABC-GI region, whose church supports United Mission or regional offerings in the current or previous year
WHAT KINDS OF NEEDS DOES THE GRANT ADDRESS?
- Health care costs, including medical bills, sudden illness, etc.
- Emergencies, accidents, and disasters.
- Consumer debt.
No grant monies are available for:
- Supplementing retirement or savings accounts of any kind
- Supplementing local church budgets
- Providing salary support or benefits, such as insurance, retirement funds, etc.
- Eliminating student loan debt
- Providing scholarships for educational or continuing education opportunities for college, seminary, CLI, etc.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO APPLY?
- Fill out the grant application and family budget sheet.
- Contact Mike Wilson (firstname.lastname@example.org) to get the name of an approved financial advisor (at no charge to you).
- Meet with the approved advisor to discuss your situation.
- Submit your application, budget sheet, and advisor’s recommendations to Mike Wilson.
The MEF Team will consider your application. Your church will need to decide what kind of match or gift they can give to participate in the grant. They might consider a love gift from the Deacon’s Fund, a special offering from the congregation or association, or a fund-raising event. These gifts provide opportunities for generosity in the life of the church. If you are hesitant to ask your church for a match or gift, please contact Soozi Ford (ABC-IN/KY) or Joan Friesen (ABC-GI).
HOW ARE THE FUNDS DISBURSED?
When the match or gift is sent to ABC-IN/KY for documentation purposes, the grant will be paid directly to third parties on your behalf, based upon approved needs identified in your application. To address the income tax obligation you will incur, the grant will include money to pay the tax liability.
The 2016 deadlines for applying for an MEF grant are:
July 1, November 1
To learn more about Lily’s Endowment Grant program, visit their website by clicking on the link: www.ecfip.org.
Ministerial Excellence Fund Grants – PASTORS
To apply, you will need to download the grant application, family budget details, and tax form below: